Monday, April 30, 2018

Week 4 Forum

In the "Code of Ethics" section, the item that I found most compelling was "Be accurate and comprehensive in the representation of subjects." The reason I found this one to be the most compelling to me was due to the fact that we live in a world now that we find ourselves questioning if and when we can really take anything we see, hear, or read as 100% factual. That is not to say that there are no sources of media that are factual, but that it is important, now more than ever, that we do our best to report our subjects with the greatest accuracy and comprehension.

Under the "Ideally, photojournalists should..." list, the one that stands out to me would have to be the one that says "Strive to be unobtrusive and humble in dealing with subjects." For me, this one stood out the most to me because when thinking of the photographs and subject matter that photojournalists often deal with, such as moments of sadness or of ceremony. It is important to keep in mind to make sure that you are as unobtrusive as possible, not getting in the way of an event that is taking place for example, and to also keep in mind that when dealing with subjects we can often have a disconnect between ourselves and our subjects, hiding behind our cameras.  

The way we can apply the principle of "Be[ing] accurate and comprehensive in the representation of subjects," would be if we were to cover a story on, say for example, a politician that is running for the upcoming 2018 State Primaries, making sure to report on the facts, not based of political views for or against the subject.



The first photo that I really appreciate is that of Darleea Names photographed by Sarah Melcher.


The reason I like this photo is because of the great angle that it is taken at and also how natural and at ease she seems in this photo. It makes me feel as if these two where longtime friends and Sarah happened to take this photo of Darleea while they were talking. Having all of the clothing and objects surrounding her as well give us a better sense of where this person works and what kind of work she does as well.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj7dAP2_gv8q5cwMNKmh1eadxNqH9posNaipe1Uf7RcpiSd9gOhBRafaCuZZ6yI91NGWuxwZvT8KlWKcm5GwKuZQlJc6LXu1F7-u91HJOZ5o95TsOL3LJtAuwqGJRhcWxne2tfVWWCFumA/s1600/fullsizeoutput_193.jpeg


The second photo I really appreciate so far is that of Kelly Skaer photographed by Samantha Wilson.


The reason I liked this one was the way that Kelly is contrasting really well with her environment and her great expression as well. If I had the chance to redo this one I would have tried to keep the bottom half of her legs in the frame as well, but even as is I thought this picture worked really well.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgnkOVf1_QBo6u1o2bO7oxTQKITxDAgNiWZ0-p9L-LFaY5g-MynyWxighE36ENQN7D3W8rLoGNw0oHfQduc7vjrv-dkRwzlNTLJEvOlw7Z63YgqeN-wv18D29_bp5lXpe-tIcu18BBOD5o/s1600/KellyS.jpg


Describe your favorite part of the book so far, identifying the page numbers of the passage; include a quote; why did this particular story stand out to you; what have you learned about photojournalism from Lynsey Addario?

So far, my favorite part of the book would have to be the story about trying to get a job at the Buenos Aires Herald on page 35 to 36 with the quote: "The photo editors made me a proposal: If I could sneak onto the set of Evita and get a photo of Madonna filming, they would offer me a job...My image of Madonna at the Casa Rosada made the front page of the newspaper that morning, and I got a job at the paper, where I was paid $10 a picture." I think this a perfect example of how if you really want something, you'll put in the work to make it happen, no matter what it takes.

What I have learned so far about photojournalism from Lynsey Addario is that if you really want the story or the photo, you have to be willing to sell yourself out to get there, be it making connections with local people or making sure you get an appointment with the subject for your story. I don't think I could commit myself as heavily to photojournalism as she has done, but I highly respect her for her work.




No comments:

Post a Comment